rising damp internal wall damage.

Suffering from Rising Damp patches on internal walls?

Welcome to the topic “Rising Damp patches on internal walls.”

Many people don’t admit or understand that their property has a damp problem until and unless they see clear signs of dampness on their interior walls.

Both rising damp and penetrating damp can affect your home’s internal walls. Penetrating dampness on inner walls occurs when water penetrates the building through cracks and openings in the walls, or it occurs due to any structural defect in the property. Sometimes, it can be a bit difficult to identify the actual type of damp by just seeing the damp patches or crumbly plaster on your inner. Similarly, you cannot identify the main source of water ingress into the property in most cases. That’s why we recommend you consult with professionals to resolve and determine the damp issue in your home.

If you see damp patches on your walls rising from the ground level in an upward direction or you see any powdery deposits on walls, then these are the signs of rising damp.

The rising damp occurs mostly due to a broken or nonappearance of a damp-proof course in the building’s structure. If you reside in an apartment above the ground level, your property will not suffer from the rising damp problems because the damp rises from the ground level.

Rising Damp patches on internal walls
Rising Damp patches on internal walls

What Causes Rising Damp?

This problem is difficult to detect and resolve. Many people identify all damp issues as rising damp, but that’s not the case all time.

As stated above, rising dampness in buildings rises from the ground floor/level in an upward direction and then penetrates into the brickworks of a wall via the capillary action. The most effective way is to implement the Damp Proof Course (DPC) to cure rising damp. The method is long-lasting and works well. DCP creates a waterproof barrier implanted into a house’s wall at about five to six inches above the surface.

What are the Common Signs of Rising Damp in your house?

  • Tide salts marks on walls or fluffy white deposits.
  • Black damp patches on walls with a moldy smell. Black patches mean that the brickwork is actually wet from inside and not just the plaster.
  • Discolored or crumbled plaster. You might also see cracking wallpaper and paint on the bottom side of the walls.
  • Musty smells are significant signs of damp.
  • Discoloration and black patches.
  • The weakening of mortar joints.
  • damp wall
  • damaged skirting board

Damp patches are not always noticeable on internal walls, and in some cases, your property can be affected by hidden damp. So, keep an eye on the following symptoms.

  • When you sense a moldy/earthy odor in your place.
  • Your home suffers from regular condensation.
  • Your place feels humid.

How to treat rising damp on internal walls

Rising damp on inner walls can be treated, and it’s advised that only professionals do the preventative tasks.

The first thing to do is to improve the drainage where your home is situated. Ensure that the nearby surface is sloping away from your home. Besides, also ensure that there is enough space for moisture to fade away from the ground.

Another thing that you can do to cure rising dampness on internal walls is to re-paint walls by using mold-resistant paint. These paints create another damp-proofing barrier for walls that prevent damp, condensation, and mold growth.

When you see signs of rising dampness on internal walls, it is better to remove wallpaper and plaster back to the bricks. It is also advised to do the same on your property’s external walls.

The last thing you can do is check that the DPC course has not been bridged before implementing the injection of a new damp proofing course. Treating rising dampness on internal walls with the injection process works in most cases, but it is recommended that only professionals should carry out the task.

How effective is a chemical DPC?

As mentioned earlier in this read, a chemical damp proof course (DPC) or chemical injections are quite useful to treat the rising damp problem on any property, but it should be performed correctly. In modern times, there are many formulations that are effective and provide a long-term solution for the said problem. Apart from DPC, you will also find various creams that provide and prevent rising damp issues.

rising damp treament

Can I Re-Plaster the wall after Treating Rising Damp?

After injecting the new DPC, it is always advised to plaster the affected wall or area. This is because your existing plasterwork may contain hygroscopic salts, and these salts can attract moisture. So, it is better to remove old plaster from the wall. We will also recommend you to hire the plasterer to re-plaster the wall to a precise specification. This will prevent issues due to salt contamination.

Who treats the rising damp problem?

If you think or you see symptoms of rising damp on your property, then we will advise you to confirm your doubts with any professional. You can seek help from a qualified and registered damp surveyor, rising damp treatment expert, or Preservation Company that deals with such issues.

In most cases, the surveyor carries out a rising damp survey in your home and, after detailed analysis, recommends an action plan and appropriate treatment as per their findings.

If possible, check for these qualifications when acquiring the services of any damp treatment expert of the company.

water damage repair what you should know 1515743284 1

Certificated Surveyor in Remedial Treatments (CSRT) – it is a qualification for examiners and surveyors in the remedial home industry. The qualification includes three different modules, including one about dampness. 

Certificated Surveyor in Structural Waterproofing (CSSW) – it is a qualification for those who are involved in identifying issues with water penetrating the structures, and these recommend design solutions as well.

Have any questions regarding the topic Rising Damp patches on internal walls? Feel Free to comment down below.

If you are suffering from damp problems and need help with remedying the issue, contact a Hertfordshire damp specialist.

Also Read: How to fix damp in your house

Get Involved

Share on social media:

Share on facebook
Share on twitter

Related Posts

Need some advice?

Talk to one of our experts:

For your Home


For your Business


Quick Form

Fill in the form below and we will be in touch soon

Blog Categories
Find us on Facebook
Call Now Button